Proceed right, north, out of the parking lot onto Hwy 14A, Spearfish Canyon. It's a
12 mile shot on a slight grade of 1 to 2 % along a serpentine road to Savoy the home of
the Spearfish Canyon Lodge and Latchstring Inn. Above Savoy the road narrows, with tighter
curves and changing grades. Some tough rollers take you past Elmore and onto Cheyenne
Crossing. A good stop for water, snacks or good meal.
From here you can turn around and enjoy the 18 mile grade back to Spearfish.
Conversely you can turn right and ride the long gradual grade on Hwy 85 for 14 miles to
O'Neill Pass which is marked with its elevation.
- Approximately 36 miles or 64 miles
- Long even grade to Savoy.
- Rolling and tight above Savoy
- Good 'big ring' climb to O'Neill Pass
- Long coastable descent
- The upper canyon can be significantly cooler, hence the name 'Ice Box Canyon'
- Sites: Bridal Veil Falls, Eleventh Hour, Savoy, Cheyenne Crossing, O'Neill Pass